Saturday 2 June 2012

Housebound and going crazy

It's raining.


This is the view from the deck over the valley. Behind that ridge you can just see is a view of Redcliffe et al. and across the bay to Moreton Island. Not today [sigh].

The animals who know where their bread is buttered have all found somewhere in the house to snuggle down.


Baillie won't be needing her sunscreen today on our very expensive leather poofie...


Moet just launches into a pose every time someone comes near her with a camera (I swear she was asleep on the bed when I went to take the photo).


Roman has managed to get prime position next to the fire. Pity it's not on but there is no dry firewood today.


TC (tabby cat) is all fluffed up on a chair next to me.

I don't deal very well with being stuck inside, so I had a plan devised before I got out of bed - I would bake.

I've just pulled the last of the biscuits out of the oven and, well, today's baking wasn't without one disaster. Our oven has the quietest timer in the world and I can never hear it. So one batch of biscuits came out charcoal. But besides my momentary lack of attentiveness, all in all, a successful day.

I made some Chocolate chip and lavender biscuits. I love the flavour of lavender and, whilst I admit I did use pure essence this time, I would much prefer to use the flowers themselves. Just need to find somewhere that sells edible lavender.

The other biscuits I made are Orange and Rosemary biscuits. These are more like wafers and are amazingly awesome with cheese on them, especially blue cheese.  I got the recipe from a family member when on holiday in NZ a few years ago - thanks Linley. This, I will share:

Orange & Rosemary Biscuits

8cm spray fresh rosemary (I use way more than that, usually 5 - 8 times more)
125g butter
200g castor sugar
1 large egg (is there any other kind when you have you own chooker moles?)
1 large orange finely grated zest
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Finely chop rosemary (leaves only).
Lightly cream butter and sugar.
Beat egg in a large bowl and add butter mixture and whisk lightly.
Stir in rosemary and grated zest.
Sift flour, salt and baking powder into mixture.
Stir with a wooden spoon until you have a soft dough mixture.
Flour hands and board and cut mixture into two. Make each piece of dough into a sausage shape, about 25cm long. The diameter should be a bit bigger than a 50 cent piece.
Roll up in cling wrap and chill in fridge until hard. Once hard, remove cling wrap and cut into tiny slices (the thinner the better, I usually make mine around 2 - 3mm) and place on a baking tray.
Bake at 180 for 6 - 9 minutes until pale gold in colour. WARNING: Do not forget about them like I did, they burn super quick.
You can also put you sausage shaped dough in the freezer and slice it frozen for a quick, tasty home made addition to your cheese platter.

Fresh out of the oven
Not perfect but I know they will taste awesome!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Took some Rosemary and Orange biscuits to a friends house yesterday to have with some cheese and my famous-around-these-parts pate on fresh crusty bread. Only problem was everyone ate the Rosemary and Orange biscuits without cheese on them - they taste that good!

    Note to self: cook something shitty every once in a while to keep friends on their toes.

    ReplyDelete